Saturday, October 20, 2007

Tortilla de Patata (potato omlette)

This is a staple here in the Basque Country and I make it several times a week-I am trying to perfect it:
1 onion, chopped
4 potatoes, diced small
5 eggs, beaten
lots of olive oil
*the best baguette you can find!

Saute the onion for about 10 minutes until nice and tender in a lot of olive oil. Add the potatoes and saute along with the onion until they are soft. (I usually add some salt-3/4tsp.)
Have the eggs ready in a bowl, and add the potatoes and onions. Let this mix sit out for several hours to absorb.
Heat a small-med pan with nice sides (at least 2 inches high) and put in the egg mixture. The heat should be med-low. As the bottom cooks, push down the sides and move the pan around so the eggs on top get cooked by the sides (sorry if that doesn't make sense.) The tricky part is the "FLIP." You must get a plate ready and put it over the pan and "flip" the pan over so the omlette flops uncooked side onto the plate. Then you slide the omlette back into the pan (uncooked side facing down so it can cook.) Do this for a minute or so..and then...Voila!!!
For Americans, this will seem like a total breakfast food. But eggs are eaten here for lunch (the big meal, or for dinner-never for breakfast.) Oh, and the tortilla part can fool us Americans too. There are no tortillas in it :)


7 comments:

Ellie said...

I remember having this at the Farewell Dinner last July. Yummm! Basque food is really good!

-Ellie Campbell

la femme elisabeth said...

Beautiful pics and so yumm-o! I love to "gourmet-it-up" and add some butternut squash and bacon sometimes...ooooh, a little goat cheese and i am in heaven. Just not authentic "Basque" heaven--they would gasp if they saw what i do to their Tortilla!! :)

Angela said...

Sounds yummy! Thanks for the recipe!


In Christ,

Angela

Lylah Ledner said...

Jen...great job...can't wait to eat your tortilla de patata....

Joanie L....loves your blog :-)

Angela said...

Beth, you crack me up! LOL!

Angela ;-)

Angela said...

Beth, I think I may try it with bacon! Yummmmmmm...


:-)

Angela

Naomi Smith said...

lovely, Jenni!
we enjoy tortilla de patata too; it regularly finds its way into our weekly menu!